Gomateshwara statue height: Bahubali statue all info
Do you watch the movie Bahubali? I know, you’ve seen it. But have you heard of the statue of Lord Bahubali, which is 57 feet tall? 75% of people vote NO. So, in this full article, we are giving information about the Gomateshwara statue: Bahubali statue location, height, and more details.
Basic Gomateshwara Statue Information:-
Gomatshwara temple is the world’s tallest monolithic statue carved out of a single stone of granite about 57 feet (17 m) in height. It is located on Vindhyagiri at shravanbelagola in Karnataka. It symbolizes peace, none violence, sacrifice, and simple living as followed by Jainism. The statue is dedicated to the Jain figure bahubali. It depicts the prolonged meditation posture of bahubali. It is also known as a bahubali statue.
Gomateshwara Statue History:-
It was built in 981 A.D and one of the largest free statues of the world. The first Tirthankara of Jainism named Rishabhnath and younger brother of Bharata chakravartin. He is said to have a 12 years of meditation in a standing position and during that time creepers grew around his legs. And after these many years, he got Omniscience means “Kevala Gyana”.
The statue was built by the Ganga dynasty minister and commander chavundaraya.
Vindhyagiri hills are one of the two hills in shravanbelagola. The other one is Chandragiri which is a seat of several ancient Jain centers much older than a Gomateshwara statue. It is said that this border is protected by the bahubali Bhagwan, Which is the home of 2300 years of Jain heritage.
Gomateshwara Statue Location:-
Bhagwan bahubali statue, karkal, Shravanbela Gola (Rural), Hassan district, Karnataka, 573135.
Gomateshwara Statue Height:-
Gomateshwara Statue height is about 57 feet (17 m) that situated above the hill of Shravanbela Gola. It can be seen from 30 km away.
The Height of the Gomateshwara Statue in the meter is 17 meters.
Also, Read About: Statue Of Unity Height | How To Reach Statue Of Unity
Structure of Gomateshwara Statue:-
The image of the Gomateshwara statue has curly hair, ringlets, and large ears. Its eyes are open like he is viewing the world with detachment who get nirvana.
His facial features are perfectly carved with a soft touch smile at the corner of the lips that illustrates the calmness and inner peace. Shoulders are broad and arm stretched straight down and the figure has no support from the thigh upwards.
There is an anthill in the background which signifies penance. From this emerges the snake and creeper which twine around the legs. The entire figure shows the attained nirvana form with a standing posture.
Best time to visit Gomateshwara:-
October to April is the best time to visit this enormous place. Because in this time heavy rainfall occurs in this region, and winter months are also the best to visit. These are the cooler months and it becomes easy for visitors to visit the statue and temple.
Famous for what?
The statue is famous for its massive structures that are carving out of huge monolithic rock. It’s the statue of Jain diety. And also famous for the different ceremonies and Mahotsav held. It’s famous as a Jainism source.
Also, Read About: 101 Best Travel Tips
Gomateshwara Statue Entry fees and time:-
- Gomateshwara Statue Entry timings:- 6:00 A.M to 5:30 P.M (Sunday to Saturday)
- Gomateshwara Statue Entry fee:- INR 200
How to reach Gomateshwara Statue:-
- Reach by air – The airport of Bengaluru is well connected to the big cities like Ahmedabad, Surat, Mumbai, Delhi, Bhopal, Coimbatore, Chennai, Jaipur, Kolkata, etc. From there you can drive a four and half-hour using public transports or private transports.
- Reach by train – The railway station of shravanbelagola named shravanbelagola railway station is also connected to well-known cities like Mangalore, Pune, Bhopal, Lucknow, Kanpur, Nasik. From there you can drive using public transports or private transports.
- Reach by road – Shravanbelagola is 18 km from hirisave, 51 km from Hassan, 80 km from halebidu, 83 km from Mysore, 89 km from Belur, 157 km from Bangalore and 221 km from Mangalore can reach through Karnataka state road transport corporation and some private travel services.
Nearest places to visit:-
There are many stunning places to visit in shravanbelagola.
- The Ghati Subramanya temple
- Vindhyagiri temple
- Chandragiri hills
- Bandipur forest reserve
- Sri Rama Devara Katte waterfalls
- Cauvery fishing camp
- Chamundraya basadi
- Trikutachala Vindhya Giri
- Bhandara basadi
- Akhanda bhagilu
It will take only a full day to visit all the historical monuments. And if you want to visit a few more then it will take additional 1-2 days.
You May Also Read About: Top 10 Famous Places To Visit In Ahmedabad
Nearest airport to Gomateshwara Statue:-
The nearest airport to the Gomateshwara statue in Bangalore in Karnataka names Bengaluru international airport.
Nearest railway station to Gomateshwara Statue:-
The nearest railway station to the Gomateshwara statue is in Bengaluru. Trains like Kudla express and Hassan intercity express.
Nearest hotel from Gomateshwara Statue:-
- Ratna forever with all the basic amenities and free wifi. (7.4 km far away from the statue.)
- Angels Avenue (2.7 km far away from the statue.)
- Sanjana service apartment ( 3.5 km far away from the statue.)
- Hosamane (12.6 km far away from the statue.)
- Golden residency ( 13.5 km far away from the statue.)
In the year of 2007, the Gomateshwara statue was voted as the seven wonders of India in the ‘ Times of India’ poll.
This magnificent ancient statue is worthwhile to visit and sightseeing around it.
So, here is some detailed information about the Gomateshwara statue. I hope you would love to visit there.
If you guys have some more information about this place then suggest to me in the comment section.
For More Official details check this link – http://mahamasthakabhisheka.com